It seems tempting to think that sweet potato fries are a better option when you get a bad french fry craving. Unfortunately, they’re still just as double-fried as regular white potato french fries. I wanted to try to make them at home without buying a bag of preservative and oil laden fries from the grocery store. As an experiment, I tried cutting some sweet potatoes into strips and baking them and it worked beautifully. This is still an indulgence, but if you’re going to indulge in fries, why not leave out the extra junk and get a nice healthy dose of Vitamins?
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, not peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the sweet potatoes into fries, which will leave you with flat “chips” on the outside edges. You can either discard these or roast them along with the fries. Keep the skins on, because there are a lot of nutrients there.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss fries with as little oil as possible on a cookie sheet. You basically have to use your hands to make sure you get the thinnest coat possible. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper. This is where you would add some chili powder or cayenne pepper or cinnamon if you want.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven for about 40 minutes. Please keep in mind that ovens vary WILDLY so you’re in luck if you have a window in your oven to see when the edges start to brown.
- The best part is, that’s all there is to it!