This smoothie is one of the main reasons that I decided to start a blog. I must have emailed this recipe to 10 people so I figured I should just post it here for everyone. This is the tastiest way I have found to make sure I get my weekly kale quota, and lots of carrots. I probably make this at least 3 times a week among other smoothies.
Eating this is like taking a multivitamin and if you’re anything like me, you will become so addicted to it that you will search out a juice bar while on vacation to get the morning fix of freshness. Some people are addicted to coffee; I’m addicted to kale smoothies.
As long as all of the fruits and vegetables are cleaned beforehand, this is very quick to throw together in the morning as you’re running out the door on your way to work. There is no excuse to skip breakfast! I have this at 7am, a handful of nuts at 10 and that keeps me full until lunchtime. It may look like a liquid, but with all of the ingredients in here, it’s very filling.
I have a Vitamix (my beloved Vitamix!) so this all comes together with a smooth consistency. If you don’t have a Vitamix, you may want to substitute apple sauce for the apple and carrot juice for the carrot. I vary this based on how sweet I want it to be. Lately I’ve been trying to eat more veggies in place of fruit, so I’ve been using less pineapple and more carrots and kale. You can also freeze any of this if you prefer a colder smoothie.
- Handful of grapes
- Handful of pineapple pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 1-2 giant leaves of kale (or 2 giant handfuls of spinach)
- 1/2 of an apple, quartered with skin on
- 1-2 carrots
- Apple cider
- Optional Additions: 1 tbsp ground chia seeds, 1 tbsp flax oil, a drop of liquid Vitamin D
- Place the ingredients into your blender in the order above so the softer items are at the bottom, allowing the blender to do its thing. Use just enough apple cider let the blender work. I have found in my tall, narrow blender that this is at the point that about a third to a half of my fruits and veggies are submerged.
- Blend for about 15 seconds on high in the Vitamix or about a minute in a regular blender.
- Sit and enjoy or take it in a to go mug on your drive in to work!
Pingback: Strawberry Banana Walnut Smoothie | Vegan in Cleveland
Pingback: Invigorating Carrot Ginger Smoothie | Vegan in Cleveland